The Universidad de Sonora is a privileged space to support the fulfillment of the objectives and goals included in the 2030 agenda for Sustainable Development, agreed by the UN. From full compliance with all its functions, it has the opportunity to contribute to the solution of the main problems that afflict humanity, such as poverty, inequality and environmental problems.
The Universidad de Sonora is an autonomous and public service Institution of Higher Education founded in 1942. It is the most valuable social patrimony of the State of Sonora due to the magnitude and quality of its human and material resources, the number of students, the quality of the education that it offers, the presence of its graduates and its impact on the history and regional progress.
Its six campuses located in a strategic geographical location, allows the institution to play an essential role in a wide area of influence and promote new and diversified educational options, generate and apply new discoveries to the challenges presented by global development in the current millennium .
As a tribute to the educational, cultural and scientific legacy of the alma mater, its name is inscribed in letters of gold at the headquarters of the State Congress.
Universidad de Sonora : 75 years sharing knowledge.
"The Universidad de Sonora is an autonomous public institution whose mission is to train, in educational programs of quality and relevance, integral and competent professionals at national and international level, articulating teaching with the generation, application and transfer of knowledge and technology, as well as with the link with the productive and social sectors, to contribute to the sustainable development of society. "
The Universidad de Sonora , as part of its social responsibility, is in a privileged position to support the fulfillment of the 17 objectives established by the UN in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Thus, to contribute to the solution of the main problems that afflict humanity, and in particular those of its state and regional environment, the University's purpose is the fulfillment of the following functions:
- Integrally train professionals and scientists in all areas of knowledge, with the appropriate values and skills to interact and develop, according to the needs and requirements of different sectors of society.
- Generate, apply and transfer knowledge and technology in all fields of knowledge, for the attention of the main environmental problems and the improvement of the welfare levels of the population.
- To exercise its teaching and research functions through an effective link with society, providing services to the social, productive and governmental sectors in response to their needs and requirements, spreading the different manifestations of art and culture towards social spaces, and consolidating the academic cooperation with other institutions.
"The Universidad de Sonora is a leading institution in the country and with international recognition, by virtue of the capacity and creativity of its graduates, as well as the relevance and relevance of its contributions to innovation, art, culture and knowledge. scientific and technological, and that contributes decisively in the sustainable development of Mexico, and in particular of the State of Sonora. "
Such vision is characterized through the following attributes:
- There is a regulatory framework and mechanisms to encourage retirement, as well as for the habilitation, updating, entry, evaluation and promotion of academic staff, which contributes to the balanced development of their functions and the generational change with criteria of academic merit. By virtue of this, all the PTC has postgraduate studies, more than four fifths with the degree of doctor and recognition of desirable profile PRODEP, while more than half are recognized within the National System of Researchers.
- It has support mechanisms, attention and support of students that allow improving school trajectories, from which there are high rates of terminal efficiency of graduation and graduation. The examinations carried out by the external evaluating bodies guarantee that they have been solidly trained, so that more than two thirds of them obtain satisfactory results.
- The educational and curricular models have been consolidated, based on the competency-based approach, and with characteristics of flexibility and multi and interdisciplinary, from which the curricula are constantly updated, in which values are incorporated, internationalization and interculturality. The integral formation has been strengthened with physical, artistic and cultural activities.
- A wide variety of undergraduate and postgraduate educational programs are offered in all areas of knowledge, of social relevance, subject to constant evaluation. All of them are of quality, being recognized by national and international organizations.
- A new educational offer of social relevance has been created, not only in traditional modalities, but also with inter-institutional programs, consortium programs, postgraduate programs in the industry, and making use of online and blended learning. Likewise, all regional units have postgraduate options, either as their own programs or as headquarters.
- There is a set of physical spaces, properly equipped, as well as a wide range of services and support infrastructure, in sufficient quantity and quality for the proper development of adjective and substantive functions.
- The activities of generation, diffusion, application and transfer of knowledge and technology have been consolidated in the Institution and have been reoriented towards the attention of the priority problems of the environment, in addition to which they have been articulated with the formation of the students and they are linked to the social, public and private sectors.
- The collegiate bodies of research have been strengthened. Almost all the Academic Bodies are Consolidated or In Consolidation, they participate in academic networks and they are an active part of consortiums of institutions to carry out research oriented to priority issues for the state.
- The link with the productive and social sectors has been strengthened, in addition to improving the processes of training students and professors, by offering quality services of laboratories, workshops and law firms, in which the tests and procedures are duly certified; provide a wide range of continuing education activities; care for the disabled and vulnerable groups; revalue social service and professional practices; and to promote artistic and cultural production and dissemination.
- The academic cooperation between the University and other national and international institutions has been consolidated, from which its programs have been strengthened, the training of students, teachers and researchers, through research and development projects, technological innovation, social intervention and mobility, among others.
- The University has simplified to the maximum the procedures and procedures in support of the development of the substantive functions. It has improved, expanded and certified its strategic processes. The Institutional Administration and Management function is accredited by the CIEES. The regulations are updated and mechanisms are in place to guarantee their application and follow-up. It has healthy finances by virtue of having regularized regular resources and having diversified its sources of financing, as well as having managed to make optimal use of resources.
- In the University, effective communication channels have been developed, which, combined with effective negotiation with trade unions, the willingness to dialogue, the search for consensus and collective decisions, have created an atmosphere of stability and harmony.
- The planning and evaluation have been consolidated as a permanent and systematic process of monitoring and evaluation of the results of all the programs and activities of the Institution. Transparency is assumed as a principle consistent with the values of honesty and social responsibility, which applies to all university work. The concept of sustainable development is incorporated into all the substantive and adjective functions of the Institution. Gender equity is incorporated transversally into institutional functions and structures. The promotion of the culture of health, sports and physical activity has been consolidated, which has improved the quality of life of the university community. The Institution has become an Intelligent University, supported by the application of technology, systems, tools and devices.
To achieve its essential purposes, the University supports its work in twelve fundamental values:
Honesty and integrity
Commitment of the university students to conduct themselves in their ideas and expressions based on the truth, and act with rectitude and probity in the exercise of their functions, which is also expressed in the proper use and care of the resources of the Institution.
Respect and tolerance
Recognition and acceptance of the existence of diversity in the ways of thinking and doing of university students, and of the availability to find and develop the coincidences that allow the achievement of institutional objectives.
University students assume the obligation to fulfill their commitments and duties, and to respond for their effects and results, and, where appropriate, correct them.
Provision of a set of moral standards, principles and values that guide the development of the University and that guide the ideas and actions of its members in the exercise of their functions, with the common goal as the ultimate goal.
It is the commitment of all university students to adopt the causes, problems and challenges of other individuals and social groups, particularly the most vulnerable, as well as the participation in their attention and resolution.
The exercise of substantive functions by university students, which is carried out with the participation of social actors, responds to the needs of society and has positive effects on it.
The University offers equal opportunities to students in access to quality training and performs actions that limit situations of social exclusion.
In the daily development of the University, the various decisions that are made are invariably made taking into account the normativity, reason and equity.
The University is strongly committed to the improvement of its environment and the care of nature, forming ecological awareness and contributing by proposing solutions to environmental problems to enable and promote sustainable development.
The ability of the University to self-govern and define the academic orientation to be followed, taking into account the requirements of the environment, particularly of the Sonoran society, to which accounts are rendered, both in financial terms and in the results of the institutional work.
Interest of the University in making available to the public all the information available on its activities, exercise of resources, development of its functions and on its results, having as only limit the provisions of current regulations.
Chair and research freedom
Freedom in teaching and in the generation and application of knowledge, practiced within the institutional framework in a manner consistent with the objectives, standards and programs established by the University.
83000 Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico