Education, Science and Culture centre
The Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies is the only higher agricultural education establishment in Latvia and it aims to: promote the intellectual potential for rural development in agriculture; encourage young people to acquire higher academic and professional education; develop research; contribute to the cultural development; study, maintain and perfect the gained experience from the Latvian people and pass it over to the future generations.
The university is multi-profiled. Besides the traditional study fields, LLU also provides multiform unique study programmes related to advanced agriculture, veterinary medicine, food production, forestry and landscape architecture. The university is located in Jelgava - an old cultural city which is only 40 km from the capital of Latvia - Riga. Jelgava is recognized as a true student city.
Mission & Vision
The Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies (LLU) Strategic Development Plan 2015-2020, was developed during 2015 and approved by the LLU Senate on December 9, 2015. In order to perform its functions and implement its goals and objectives, the Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies has developed three activity programs: 1. Studies 2. Science 3. Administrative and financial support for studies and research work The goal of the Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies is to provide the possibility to obtain higher academic and higher professional education in agriculture, veterinary medicine, food technology, engineering, forestry science, social science, information technologies and environment management sectors as well as to develop science and to maintain and develop the Latvian intellectual potential and culture. The objectives of the LLU: 1.To ensure the study quality corresponding with the standards of a national university what would allow educating competitive specialists for the Latvian and international labour markets. 2.To develop the scientific potential to participate in international research, to integrate the academic education and research what would ensure introduction of innovative, knowledge-based technologies into the Latvian national economy, especially, in the Zemgale region. 3.To ensure sustainable development for the university as a national education, science and culture institution:
- to strengthen the legal basis;
- to improve the organizational structure in accordance
- to the LLU objectives; to develop cooperation with institutions, academic education and science institutions in Latvia and abroad, enterprises and professional organizations and regional institutions of Zemgale;
- to manage the LLU material and technical basis effectively.
The LLU mission To develop competitive intellectual capital on the basis of excellence in research, use of research results in the economy, high quality of education and effective management of the university. The LLU vision the Latvia University of LIfe Sciences and Technologies is one of the leading universities of science and technologies in the Baltic Sea region, specializing in the sustainable use of natural resources aimed at the enhancement of quality of life for society.
Facts & Figures
- Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies(LLU) was founded in 1939 and its oldest faculty is the Faculty of Agriculture, founded in 1863, which has close cooperation with many universities abroad. LLU has been a rapidly growing institution in the time period since Latvia regained its independence.
- There are 8 faculties in the university: Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, Engineering, Food Technology, Environment and Civil Engineering, Forest, Information Technologies, Economics and Social Development.
- 64 bachelor, master and doctoral study programmes are provided by 313 lecturers and researchers for 4350 students in 2014/2015.
- International cooperation is based on more than 130 concluded cooperation agreements with partner institutions from 27 European countries and 42 active bilateral agreements with HEI and research centres from 19 countries worldwide.
- Museum of the university welcomes to see History of Jelgava Palace and History of Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies expositions.
- The cultural environment of the university is actively formed and explored in traditional and unique events.
- There is also a wide range of sports opportunities available for the university students and employees.