Master of Science in Economics
The Manoogian Simone College of Business and Economics (CBE) offers a Master of Science in Economics (MSE) to prepare graduates for careers and advanced study in economics, finance, applied research and public policy.
The MS in Economics is an academically rigorous program with strong quantitative and applied research components, targeting students who have work experience and professional aspirations in the fields of economics and finance. The program emphasizes extensive training in mathematical and statistical methods, including significant exposure to econometrics and forecasting, and working with data sets and statistical software. This gives students the applied skills necessary to succeed at the workplace or further pursue advanced doctoral level degrees.
The curriculum aims to:
- Equip students with theoretical knowledge, quantitative skills, and applied analytical abilities to investigate and solve economic problems
- Prepare students for careers and advanced studies in a wide range of fields in economics and finance
AUA aims to prepare not only well-grounded specialists but also well-rounded individuals, able to think critically and creatively, to learn independently, to understand different thought processes, to work collaboratively, and to communicate effectively with people from different cultures and disciplines.
Career options for graduates of this program include government employment, public and private banking or financial institutions, insurance, consulting, corporate strategic planning, real estate, environmental, urban and regional planning, and quantitative analysis.
The MS in Economics requires successful completion of a minimum of 36 semester-credits. These are divided into core courses (7 courses – 24 credits) and electives (4 courses – 12 credits). Students can choose courses based on their interests and goals. Electives are offered for three tracks: Monetary and Macroeconomic Policy, Finance and Applied Economics.
|Core courses – 7 required courses for all MSE tracks|
|Quantitative methods for Economists*|
|Economics Research Seminar|
|Capstone: (6 credits)|
|Elective courses – tracks**|
|Monetary and Macroeconomic Policy***||Finance***||Applied Economics***|
|Financial Econometrics and Time Series Analysis||Financial Econometrics and Time Series Analysis||Financial Econometrics and Time Series Analysis|
|Monetary Theory and Policy||Finance Theory||Applied Health Econometrics|
|Macroeconomic Policy Seminar||Economics of Corporate Finance||Data Scraping|
|Free elective||Free elective||Free elective|
|* This course will start 1 week earlier than rest of the classes|
|** Minimum 3 track-specific courses are required|
|*** Courses listed for track requirements may change|
Other electives may include but are not limited to:
- Financial Economics
- Health Economics
- Limited Dependent Variable Analysis
- International Economics
- Business Economics
- Development Economics
- Public Finance
- Industrial Organizations
Students are also required to complete an environmental course. The MSE program seeks to advance each student’s career and academic goals. In addition to courses in economics, students, in consultation with the program chair, may take other graduate level courses offered at AUA. These electives should be approved by the MSE program chair and the CBE Dean.
Up to 50% of the course load will be offered in Dilijan campus. These will mostly include the 1st year required courses. The majority of elective courses will be offered during the second year in Yerevan campus. Some elective courses will be offered during the Summer semester.
Duration of the Program
The MS in Economics is a 2 years program equivalent to 4-5 semesters of study including summer semester courses.
Schedule of Courses
Fall 1 (Dilijan campus, real-time access from Yerevan)
- Quantitative Methods for Economists
- Economic Statistics
- Microeconomic Theory
Spring 1 (Dilijan campus, real-time access from Yerevan)
- Macroeconomic Theory
- Elective 1
Summer (Yerevan or Dilijan campus)
- Elective 2
- Elective 3
Fall 2 (Yerevan campus)
- Economics Research Seminar
- Sustainable Development
- Elective 4
Spring 2 (Yerevan campus)
- Capstone (thesis)
Courses are scheduled for evenings and/or on Saturdays to accommodate the needs of employed students.
The faculty of the College of Business and Economics bring impressive education, teaching, and professional experience to the classrooms and students of AUA. Graduate degrees, MBA and PhDs, have been earned at outstanding international universities including Harvard, Stanford, the University of Nice, University of Colorado, University of Turin, Oregon, Brandeis, Syracuse, Yerevan State, and others. Professional experience includes the CEO of a major bottled water company, founder of bio-tech firms in the U.S., investor and founding employee of an internet technology firm, founder and owner of an important accounting and finance training company, an international banker, creative director for a global advertising agency, and leadership at a variety of consulting firms some with an international reach.
AUA’s MS in Economics program seeks highly motivated students with good quantitative skills and excellent English to prepare for careers and advanced studies in economics and public policy. To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the below requirements:
- Submit a completed AUA Application for Admission to Graduate Study and all required program supplements as outlined in the application instructions
- Present an official TOEFL iBT score of at least 79* or IELTS (Academic) score of at least 6.5*; the score is valid only if the test date was less than two years before the application submission date
- Present an official score in at least the 60thpercentile on the GRE quantitative section; the score is valid only if the test date was less than five years before the application submission date
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from a 4- or 5-year program at an accredited or licensed institution of higher education
- Submit an updated resume that includes your work history and job responsibilities;
- Work experience is preferred but not required
* If you are admitted to AUA with any of your official test scores below the minimum targets for the degree program to which you are applying, your status will be admission on probation. This means that you must attain a minimum GPA of 3.0 at the end of your first term or you will be subject to dismissal from the university. Because English language proficiency is an important factor in successful study at AUA, applicants with TOEFL scores below 79 or IELTS scores below 6.5 are strongly advised to improve their English before commencing studies. This can be done either through AUA’s English for Enhancement Purposes course (EEP) or through another method of your choice. These courses are not required, but are strongly recommended. For more information on EEP, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the School
Founded in 1991, AUA provides a high-quality, graduate and undergraduate education that encourages civic engagement and promotes democratic values, fostering scholarship in a setting that values and d ... Read More