Description of the Program
The aim of the program is to train professionals in psychology, who with their knowledge acquired in the various fields of psychology can face the mental challenges of the contemporary world. The students will be qualified in more branches of psychology and gain special knowledge in the field of Counselling and School Psychology. They will study the methodologies and instruments used in psychology and will be able to use these with individuals, groups or organizations especially schools for their understanding and development. The program provides adequate training to acquire further, legally stipulated, specialized qualifications in the various fields of psychology. They are prepared to continue their studies at the doctoral level.
The main professional areas covered during the program:
- Individual Counselling
- Family Counselling
- Observation, assessment in schools.
- Behavior management
- Work with special needs students
- Individual learning plans
- Counseling in Organizations
During their studies, the students having a continuous practicum in a school for 4 semesters and they will join a counseling psychologist and work with him/her through two semesters. This type of practicum provides the students the opportunity to directly apply the knowledge gained during the courses. They will have immediate feedback on their performance and can easily develop their methods to reach a high level of understanding and routine in their work.
Applicability of the degree:
The specialization of Counselling and School Psychology provides a wide range of knowledge which can be used in several areas of psychology. After earning a master’s degree, the students can decide among several paths of their carrier. In most countries, further studies are expected to start an independent carrier, but under the supervision of a specialized psychologist, professionals possessing Psychology MA can start to work. The main areas where this degree is applicable: clinical psychology and healthcare services, hospitals, ambulances; individual and group counseling; school psychology; pedagogical centers; coaching; organization development; sport psychology.
For a successful application please follow the steps below:
- To apply, click on the Apply Now button, and start your application.
- Register on our application site, fill the application form, upload the necessary documents and submit your application!
- After you have submitted your application, you are going to receive information on further steps.
- If we received your application fee, we are going to start the evaluation of your application.
- Copy of BA/BSc degree in Psychology (can be submitted till July)
- An official copy of one the following language exam certificates:
- TOEFL (PBT paper-based): 517 points (www.ets.org/toefl)
- TOEFL (iBT internet-based): 66 points (www.ets.org/toefl)
- IELTS: Overall Band Score: 5.5 (www.ielts.org)
- Cambridge ESOL: B2 level (www.cambridgeenglish.org)
- TELC: B2 level (https://www.telc.net/en.html)
- ECL: B2 level (http://www.ecl-test.com/)
- Oxford Online Placement Test: 70 points (www.oxfordenglishtesting.com)
- You do not have to submit an official English test result if one of the following criteria applies to you:
- English is your native language
- You have continued your undergraduate studies in English.
- You have participated in a preparatory course organized by the UP or any other Hungarian institute(You have to submit the official transcript of your preparatory studies.)
- CV in English
- Motivation letter in English
- Research proposal in Counselling or School Psychology (4000-6000 characters)
- Entrance Exam (personally or via Skype, details on http://psychology.pte.hu)
- A medical certificate, vaccination card (showing that you are immunized against HEP B) and HIV test)
- One passport-size photograph
- Copy of valid passport
- Transfer receipt of the application fee
Examples of subjects During the Studies
- Basics of psychodiagnostics and abnormal psychology
- Diagnostic Methods in School Psychology
- Practicum – School Psychology I. - Observation, Assessment
- Communicational Skills Training
- Life Skills Counselling
- Practicum – School Psychology II. - Behavior Management
- Practicum - Counselling I. - Individual Counselling
- Diagnostic Methods in Carrier and Employment Counselling
- Talent management and development methods
- Practicum – School Psychology III. - Individual Learning Plans
- Practicum - Counselling II. - Family Counselling
- Theories of Crisis
- Art, Creativity, Psychology
- Practicum – School Psychology IV. - Work with Special Needs Students