A unique course, the only one of its kind in the UK, designed to fast track you into the industry.
New technology and a greater variety of formats are challenging the traditional boundaries of Science and Natural History Programming and driving greater audience demand. British production companies are at the forefront of leading innovation in formats and high-end content, with growing opportunities to work with North American and international broadcasters.
- Exclusive scholarship available for this course with RSPB and other partners.*
- The course includes masterclasses from leading practitioners in industry, including from the world-renowned BBC NHU
- Students will gain the skills and expertise needed to direct science, natural history and wildlife productions and the know-how to produce entire shows.
- The course gives students the ability to generate science and natural history programme ideas and formats.
- Gain the confidence and know-how to pitch those ideas to commissioning editors.
- Graduate with a brilliant list of industry contacts and relevant skills for building a sustainable career as a Producer/Director.
- Work experience at the UK’s major wildlife production companies.
'A new MA designed to bring on the next generation of natural-history programme-makers' BBC Wildlife
'You are the future. It’s up to you to change things about the way you look at the natural world, using formats I haven’t dreamed about.' Sir David Attenborough, NFTS Masterclass 2017 (Picture: Sir David Attenborough with Science and Natural History Students)
We welcome EU/EEA Students. Those accepted onto the course starting in 2018 and 2019 will have their fees guaranteed at the UK rate for both years of the course. Postgraduate students can apply for a loan to help with their studies via the Student Loans Company Loans. A £10,609 loan is available to contribute to course and living costs. The Postgraduate Loan is only open to EU/EEA and UK Students who normally live in England. It is not currently available to Scottish, Welsh or Northern Ireland Students. Find out more here.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 05 JUL 2018
If you are lively and imaginative, then this is the course for you! Applicants must be able to demonstrate their passion, commitment, and talent for developing a career in Television.
Typically applicants will have a proven interest in science and natural history, which, typically, may involve a background in Physics, Chemistry, combined Natural Sciences, Zoology, Biology, Psychology, Mathematics etc.
- A short proposal for a science or natural history television programme (one side of A4)
- Optional: A digital portfolio containing samples of your work specifying your exact role in each.
This work does not need to be in the science and natural history area, as some applicants may not have a film or other programme-making background.
You can apply directly to us at the NFTS by clicking on the link below:
- APPLY FOR DIRECTING & PRODUCING SCIENCE & NATURAL HISTORY COURSE
- You can apply online, or download a word document of the application form to submit via email
When selecting your course, please ensure that you have read the entry requirements and details of the supporting materials that should accompany your application.
TIMING YOUR APPLICATION
We are happy to receive applications 24/7 and 365 days a year up until the deadline.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 14, 2018