The central objective is to empower students by honing their communication skills so that they can meet the requirements of employment and face the challenges of modern society with ease.
The M.A. English Language and Communication offered by the Dept. of English, Hindustan University comprises 20 courses spread over 4 semesters in 2 years. Out of these 12 are core papers and 8 are electives.
The curriculum maintains a fine balance between the language and literature courses. One of the core papers in every semester focuses on features related to Language, e.g. Teaching of English, History of English Language, Linguistics etc.
Electives offer a wide range of choices like papers on Personality Development, Children's Literature, Women's Writing, Film studies, Canadian Literature etc.
Papers like Criticism and Theory and Indian Aesthetics are introduced to develop core skills like analytical thinking
The curriculum also maintains a balance between traditional and modern texts so that the study facilitates an understanding of different cultures and the literary styles.
The curriculum is so designed that at the end of 4 semesters the candidate would certainly have acquired the required skills and would be ready for employment in a variety of fields.
Innumerable career options are available for a candidate who has successfully completed the course in M.A. English Language and Communication
- Teaching--considering the general dearth of good teachers who can speak English fluently and write accurately, the candidate can easily find a teaching post in schools and colleges.
- Translator/ interpreter-- With a bilingual expertise one can become an interpreter in Research Institutes, Industrial Houses, Ministry of External Affairs, Embassies of foreign countries
- Media--the candidate can effectively contribute to fields of journalism, publishing, T.V. and radio, copywriting and Event Management.
- The candidates also can contribute as online content writers, technical translators and decoders
- There are multifarious worlds where language is a means of Influencing. With training in persuasive expressions, one can function successfully in the world of Advertisement, P.R., Marketing, Retail Management and Sales
- With proficiency in language and communication, one can contribute to the fields of Service/ helping like Social Service, Youth work, nursing etc.
- In cases of profession switch, like Law, H.R., Banking or insurance a candidate who has offered this course can be equally successful.
- With this qualification a candidate can easily enter the information worlds of Library, Tourism and Archives.
- There are also plenty of options for research and higher studies including M. Phil, Ph.D., Business Management, Civil Services like IAS, IPS, IFS.